The following is a checklist of things that you are encouraged to discuss during the breast enhancement consultation. Not only will it give your practitioner the clearest picture possible of the look they need to go for, but it will also give you peace of mind that you’re going to come away with the look you want. So be prepared to discuss:
- The reasons why you want the surgery
- Your expectations and desired look
- What medical treatments you are currently on
- What allergies you have
- Your drinking, smoking and drug habits (if any)
- What previous surgeries you have had
- Recent mammogram results
- Your family history of breast cancer
Naturally, as you’re preparing to undergo surgery, you will need to undergo a check-up.
Expect your surgeon to:
- Evaluate your general health status, along with any pre-existing health conditions or risk factors
- Examine your breasts, which may involve the taking of detailed measurements of their size and shape, skin quality, and the placement of nipples and areolas
- Take photographs for a medical record
- The consultation will end with the surgeon spelling out a course of action, laying out how the procedure should take place.
- Discuss the options available, and recommend a course of treatment
- Discuss the likely outcomes of your procedure
- Fully explain any risks or potential complications
- Discuss the use of anaesthesia during your procedure
Bottomline: if you come away from your consultation feeling that you’re still unsure whether to go ahead with the procedure–or you feel that the surgeon hasn’t explained what is going to happen well enough–you are advised not to go ahead with the procedure.